A refrigerated van is a vital component of any business that requires food products to be delivered in a chilled or frozen manner. It’s crucial that the products are kept at the correct and consistent temperature not only to avoid spoilage but also to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria associated with foodborne illnesses. Dairy, seafood, poultry, and other perishable products require delicate transportation under certain controlled temperatures. Refrigerated trucks or reefer vans help tackle this problem.
While there are numerous types and models of refrigerated vehicles available, it is important you choose the right van based on your business needs.
Checklist for Selecting a Refrigerated Van
There are many factors to be considered whether you are a small-business owner making your first refrigerated truck purchase or a manager preparing to buy a fleet. Making the wrong decision can decrease the productivity of your enterprise, so it pays to do your homework before you visit a dealership. When you are considering refrigerated units, keep these things in mind:
- Refrigeration Equipment: You want to rent a van that uses equipment from well-known manufacturers who have a long-standing reputation for consistency and reliability. They design refrigeration and freezing systems to handle all stages of transportation.
- Size and Configuration: What kind of storage capacity will you need for your rental refrigerated van? You can choose a vehicle for your choice from Large Van, Midi Mover, Super Mover, etc. and opt for one with a tail-lift or sideloading door option for easier loading and unloading of your catering or food produce cargo.
- Overnight Considerations: If your route requires a stop, ferry ride, park overnight etc can you be assured that the Van and Truck will maintain the correct constant temperature to keep the food chilled or frozen? All our units come complete with an electric standby to ensure the contents are kept at a standard temperature.
- Chiller versus Freezer: Think of the products and goods that you are transporting. Some vans have the ability to freeze and chill within different compartments of the cargo hold, while others are strictly chilled or freezer units. Before you select a suitable van for your business you need to decide what temperature your food products required.
- Contract Length: You can choose from a range of different contracts with the reputed truck rental company. They offer refrigerated units on a daily basis and you can rent them for the day, week or on a continual basis using their long-term contract hire option.